Pine Care in Utah
Pines grow naturally here in our lovely mountains, but if you notice they usually grow on steep inclines on the north side of the mountain. This preference should be remembered when planting them in your yard:
- Plant conifers on raised ground to allow for quick drainage.
- Many conifers will burn in the hot sun, especially in winter with the snow reflecting off the snow.
- Plant conifers in an area that will allow them their preferences.
- Water only as recommend for each type of conifer. Most only need moderate watering.
- Brown needles on pines does not always mean they need more water.
- Brown needles can indicate too much water or not enough.
- Brown needles can indicate a lack of acid, too. Add acid supplements, allow the needles below the tree to decompose, or pour apple cider vinegar in the ground and add water to supplement the acid.
- Consult your nursery for individual care on the conifers.
- Most conifers do drop a portion of their needles every fall and winter.